Google
 

Thursday 12 July 2007

My first day out in 'Smokefree England'


Its Sunday the 1st of July 2007 and finally I can enjoy going out.

England went smokefree. Yippee!
This means it is now against the law for people to smoke in
all public places and workplaces. This includes
the following ;

* bars, nightclubs, Pubs, cafes, restaurants,shopping centres
* Public transport and any work vehicles used by more than one person
* Offices and enclosed workplaces
* Indoor smoking areas including staff smoking rooms

People who have the urge for a cigarette now need to go outside.

Well this weekend was my first time out since the first of July. I'm
a social butterfly. I have spent some years in and out of bars and
clubs and must admit "I love Smokefree England".

No more smoke in your eyes. No more second hand smoke,No need to jump in
the shower when you get home, to scrub the stale rank smoke from your body,
before you climb in to bed. No need to suck on strepsils for days after,
to clear the smokers cough you have just developed. hell, this weekend i
think i go out with out my inhaler.

There were somethings that were off putting about the experience. A smoke free
environment opens up your senses to new smells that were originally dampened by the
smoke like bad sweaty odour. Also I think that Club and bar owners need to
deodorize the toilets better as the smells in some places were unbearable.

Apart from the bad smells the whole experience was great.

Strange seeing groups of smokers standing outside in the cold whilst others
enjoy the warm social climate of the bars. This might push people
towards giving up. I know several of my friends are in the process.

I do realise that it is very hard to quit, i have been there. For smokers
who are trying to quit the best advice i can give is try remember a time
before you began smoking. Did you have more energy then? Did you feel happier?
Was you more motivated? If this doesn't help, then you need to focus on
a goal, give yourself a reason to quit.

Before i began smoking i was a very active person surrounding myself in a
number of sporting activities. I began smoking after a friend past away, in fact
smoking was not the only thing. I also turned to drugs. It was very hard quiting.
I had developed a circle of friends that were in to the same thing as me, smoking and
drugs. I eventually cut these people out otherwise i don't believe i would
have ever stopped.

I'm glad to say i now feel more confident, happier and full of energy and i
would never turn back to smoking. The very thought is disgusting.

Smokefree England might give others the incentive to give up their smoking
habit.

If you need to find more information on quiting i found the the web site listed below
full of very good information and help.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I live in a smoke-free state here in the US. When we went on vacation this summer, the state where we went was not smoke free.

It's amazing how shocking the smell of smoke can be when you're not used to it. I was ready to call the authorities...

Unknown said...

i live in singapore which is one of the smoke free city..i went to mylapore for christmas..I too had faced same problem in Mylapore..i got frightened after seeing this smoke.after then i pack up my things i returned back to singapore
Smoking cessation lasers

Hospitality Lawyer said...

Execellent Blog!

Check out mine...

Stephen Barth, Founder of HospitalityLawyer.com, Challenges the Industry to Go Non-Smoking

Please read more at
http://blog.hospitalitylawyer.com/

and fyi...
HospitalityLawyer.com presents the 6th Annual Hospitality Law Conference, Monday, February 11th through Wednesday, February 13th 2008. The Conference will be held at the George R. Brown Convention Center in downtown Houston.

At the 2008 Conference, attendees can get current on pressing concerns in the hospitality industry including franchising, legislation, premises liability, and changes in employment and management contracts. There will be practical tips on metadata, ethics, and corporate compliance, and updates on the ADA and e-discovery.